Thursday, April 9, 2009

Happy Easter

It is 2:17 a.m. Good Friday morning. I had an epiphany on Palm Sunday and it has been keeping me awake tonight, so I thought I'd share it with you.

I've only been following politics heavily since 1980 when I was given the privilege to vote for the first time, so my personal experience starts there. I remember when Bill (MFN status to China!) Clinton was elected the first time, and how incredibly stupid 43% of Americans were. I questioned how in the world was it possible that such a man could be elected to the Office of President, particularly when we knew so much about him in advance! His second win really floored me, and I draped our house on Main Street with black cloth. No, really, I did; but it gained no attention except from my sympathetic friends.

Years later, vox populi Americani cry out for the Usurpent, a man who probably isn't a U.S. citizen and who associated himself with the worst possible people; folks like Wright and Farakan and groups like ACORN. I had that unanswered question from '96 hovering over me still, until Palm Sunday last week.

Not quite two thousand years ago, the people showered praise on the greatest man who ever lived, Jesus Christ. They welcomed Him with hosannahs ('Huzzah' we might say today) and laid palm branches along the dusty road for He and his trusty colt, a donkey no less, to tread upon. They bowed to Him, calling Him their king, believing Him to be the Savior of their people and, perhaps, the world. On that day, the people were smart as well as being correct.

Less than a week later, many of those same Jesus fans turned against Him to the point of wanting to kill Him. Governor Pilate asked, "What shall I do with this man, Jesus?" The vox populi responded, "Crucify Him! Crucify Him!" Because the hand of God was in this bittersweet, no -- horribly beautiful -- event, Jesus prevailed and lives today, indeed, as the Savior of the world.

So, in this light, when I have asked, "How can this be?!" grieving about some political race, a mere blip on the radar screen of history, the answer is simple: Generally speaking, people are smart, but they lose their intelligence when they are led astray. People get caught up in the moment and become distracted by faulty logic and poor reasoning. At first, they feel euphoria, followed by strength and security, then somehow that morphs into self-righteousness, selfishness, and greed. In short, love is blind and people have been tripping down the steps of bad judgment as long as they have lived on earth. Question answered.

Jesus was a sacrifice as part of God's ultimate plan of salvation for believers in the world, so, as it turns out, the vox populi got it right back then. The Usurpent, however, is asking America to sacrifice herself at the altar of global unity. This may be a part of God's plan as we approach the end of the world as we know it, but, in the name of what is good and right that is the American way, we should be fighting tooth and nail to rid ourselves of this whole administration and Congress.

America bless God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your comments!