Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Another Virginia Race Has Begun (Yawn)

I was just opening today's mail and found a political brochure for someone running for Attorney General in Virginia. What truly is amazing is that this person's platform is the same as all the other Republicans' platforms for the past twenty years! I've noticed this before, but now that I have blog power, I can put my two cents in.

Reading down the bulleted highlights of this fellow's slick brochure, he's pro-death penalty (too bad), he's pro-life like President Reagan, he's pro-2nd Amendment, he's the only one who has successfully deported illegal alliens (okay, this is a fairly new issue), he's volunteered on campaigns from Ronald Reagan onto "G.O.P. victory in 2009", and he's a free-market, pro-business M.BA Army veteran.

First, let's talk about the death penalty. Why is this a Republican virtue? The death penalty is wrong because

1) we shouldn't play God to decide who prematurely dies (convicts or the pre- born),
2) the death penalty hasn't hindered the crazies out there who commit truly heinous crimes,
3) the death penalty promotes vengeance amongst the citizenry ("vengeance is mine, sayeht the Lord"), and
4) the death penalty limits a person's time to hear the Gospel and to accept Jesus Christ as his Lord and Savior.

From what I've seen and read, I believe that more Republicans than Democrats like the death penalty for some reason, but it shouldn't be a party issue. It is an issue of conscience.

Okay, onto the Constitution and the hallowed Second Amendment. If you don't like this amendment, you don't qualify as a Virginian. Threats to the right to bear arms, however, are irrelevant to the people who use them either for hunting, target shooting, or for self-defense. These people will obtain pistols and rifles even with severe gun restrictions. I would suggest that they would do so especially if these rights were ever infringed, and rightfully so. We cannot allow for intrusive government. Right? Isn't that right? So, why do we contually campaign on this as an issue?

Ronald Reagan is mentioned twice in this flyer. Granted, we haven't had too many GOP presidents who have been as conservative as he, but it's time to stop aligning candidates with other leaders. Stand on your own. Being an Army Ranger is an admirable quality. I appreciate his service to our country.

Being a lawyer is requisite for the job, but it's nothing to brag about, even if he has successfully deported illegal aliens. Where are the strict laws that we need to ensure that few, if any, illegals enter the country? And why aren't any of the tens of thousands of other lawyers deporting illegal aliens? We'd almost have the problem solved if each attorney would deport one illegal!

Concerning being pro-business, the only ones who aren't are the obamadent and the other radical members of the liberal jihad.

I have nothing against this candidate. Heck, I usually don't oppose anyone until they start talking. The brochure pictures are pleasant enough (although his cover photo gives the appearance that he just inhaled a black fly) and he seems like a good, family-oriented, friendly, no-nonsense kind of guy. I guess I'd vote for him, but, before I cast my vote, I've got to read the other 400 mailings I'll be receiving between now and Election Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your comments!